Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Lammastide

Today is Lammas, also known as .. but not entirely the same as .. Lughnassadh. It is today we honor the Lady in her guise as Mother, as she grows large with the child growing within her womb, the child she conceived with the Sun King at Ostara. Now too does the Sun King begin to die as days grow short and nights long. Today we celebrate the harvests of the ending year. We begin to reap the bounty of our toils of the previous year, and prepare to settle in for the winter, living off that bounty until springtime.

I have grown throught the years from being raised Roman Catholic, turning to Wicca in my high-school years when I came across a book in the bookshop near my work. Since then .. and that was back in the very early 1990's .. I have walked a long and often lonely path to come to where I am today. I have moved a thousand miles from the home I knew. I have made the dreadful mistake of moving in with friends to help them out in Georgia. I came back to this home, to Jason's parents, and put my life back in order. I endured a hellish job much longer than I should have. I have survived over a year of joblessness. This last year has been full of fret and worry, but this new month is bringing work to me, and with it peace.

This Lammas I am celebrating the fruits of a year's toil in my quest for a job. I am celebrating the joy of knowing I can help provide for my household, and doing it in a job that I really believe I will enjoy. I am also celebrating going back to school, something I've wanted to do for a very long time. I'm still waiting to hear that they've gotten my transcripts, but I'm accepted, and with luck I'll start August 23rd. If not, I'll probably start October 2nd.

We will have our Lammas feast tomorrow, because today we gave ourselves a bit of a 'free' day. We enjoyed popcorn and Twizzlers at the movie (Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest) and then had fast food for lunch. I enjoyed half a medium fry, some chicken nuggets, and a double quater pounder, and I do not regret it. It was yummy, and it killed a craving I'd been having, and now I can continue on my weight loss without feeling I'm depriving myself.

While in the movie I managed to knit at least 10 rounds on Brandon's Booga bag ... it's very nearly done!! I think I'm going to go to 75 rounds, since I made it a little bigger at the base. It should be done today or tomorrow, at least for the knitting. Then I'll have to knit the i-cord strap and felt.



1 comment:

C+SK said...

May the coming year be ten times better than the previous! :-)