Have you all heard of the Fiber Femmes? Surely you have. It's a little low-tech as far as the site layout, but I think that only makes it more charming. They were represented at SAFF I know, because one of them took pictures of my friend Larissa's shawl and it's on the site in the Nov/Dec 2006 issue of their newsletter
I've joined the webring, and it should be showing up in the sidebar now. They have a questionnaire in this issue, which I'm answering .. well .. just because.
Fiber Geek Questionnaire
1. Do you raise fiber, animals or plant, or are a fiber user only? If you raise animals/plants...what do you raise?
No, I don't, though I'd like to. I very nearly came home with an angora bunny from SAFF in fact, and the likelihood that I will this year is even greater.
2. What's your favorite fiber & why? Which fiber do you like the least & why?
I love the softness of alpaca, and if I could work with (also read as: afford) to work only with it I'd be a happy knitter. I guess if I had to choose a fiber I like least it'd be quivit, because it's just impossibly expensive, prohibitively so in fact.
3. What's your worst habit relating to your fiber?
Not using it enough? I have a bag full of yarn I bought at SAFF, none of which I've used except for that purchased for the sweater I'm trying to make. It's all just so incredibly pretty, I have a hard time actually using it!
4. In what ways does your fiber habit make you a better person?
I'm a lot calmer now. I tend to bouts of agressiveness, but knitting and weaving have given me something to soothe my nerves when I'm stressed from work and school, or just life.
5. How would your life be different if you had to give up fiber?
I'd have to go back to smoking. I don't think I could stand it now, not having something to knit, or weave, or even just to look pretty in a basket in my house.
6. What tools, yarns, books or gadgets can't you live without?
Bamboo needles. I love my bamboo needles. Though I'm also becoming very partial to the Destiny circulars I got for the holidays. I think I'd hate to have to go back to using aluminum. And the ball-winder .. and of course the walnut swift that goes with it. I don't know how I'd live without it, now that I'm a fiber snob and won't use synthetics if I can help it.
7. What was your first fiber project?
An obnoxiously long and wide scarf knitted in a beautiful blu colorway of Lion Brand Homespun. That's how I know that I can knit anything ... I made my first projects out of homespun, a feat I wouldn't wish on anyone now.
8. Do you have any fiber mentors? Who are they and why?
Of course! My friend who tought me to knit, Larissa. She is the one who inspired me to knit, and it's really been good for my creativity.
9. Are you a member of any guilds? If so, which one(s)?
No, sadly. There's not any in this area (that I know of!)
10. What's the most exciting fiber project you've undertaken?
My sweater, right now. It's exciting to be making something that I know I'm going to actually wear. Though, weaving the first scarf was really exciting too. And now that it's completed, I wear it -all- the time.
11. How many people have you mentored? In which fiber arts?
Just one - Brandon .. well, two, if you count my husband. Both of them are knitting 'students'. And it's really neat to have taught someone how to knit, and given themsomething to be excited about.
12. Do you consider fiber crafts to be functional or artistic?
It depends on what you make. Some things are more artistic than others. A simple garter stitch scarf is functional. But something a little ornate, like an Irish Hiking Scarf, or a woven one like I made for myself, is beautiful as well as functional.
13. What, mainly, do you make? Do you keep, or give away, most of your projects?
I think what I make most of is dishcloths to be perfectly honest. Though I'm starting to make a lot more involved projects. My sweater and the woven scarf (which I've yet to post about, I know!) are the first things I've made just for myself .. unless you count the monstronsity that is my forst ever knit scarf.
14. Are fiber crafts an avocation or vocation for you?
(Sad that I had to look both those words up .. but it was only to make sure I remembered which was which!) Fiber crafts are an avocation for me now. They'd have to be, because it takes me so long to finish any one project I'd never make any money. But I'd like for it to eventually become a vocation. I'd love to have a fiber shop, and teach knitting and weaving and such, and be able to knit for profit as well as pleasure.
15. How many people are you committed to being a mentor for in 2007?
Committed? Just the same as usual. I'd like to teach a couple of other friends to knit, but they live a ways away, and it's just not feasible.
2 comments:
Thanks for the Fiber Femmes site. I hadn't seen that yet.
I looked for the Fiber Femmes at SAFF but didn't find their booth (don't even get me started on where the HECK was the Grafton Fibers' booth!). Please don't show me any more of your gorgeous weaving. I can't afford a loom. Really. I can't.
Post a Comment