Wednesday, January 31, 2007

In which she discovers a new obsession.

Jason bought Brandon and myself a gift certificate to the Local LYS for 1 weaving class and 1-week's rental of an Ashford Knitters Loom. The class, because he of course wanted to learn as well, was scheduled for his day off .. which so happened to be yesterday. Two great things in one week ... I'm spoiled, dontcha know!

So yesterday, after I worked my morning complete with surprise visit from my boss (who said my store looks great and I'm doing a great job) and Jason working the first half of the day (because the salesmen won't stop selling cars, the fools. I mean, what do they think this is, a car dealership or something?) we headed up to Pineville to The Yarn Shop. After some creative 3-point-parallel-parking (so dubbed by Brandon) I headed in, to find my beloved already there, and we got started.

I don't think it counts as cheating on one's yarn diet if one -had- to buy yarn for a class she already had planned, does it? Anyway, we all picked out our yarn, and I got myself some gorgeous Berroco Ultra Alpaca in a heathered forest green (6276 - Woodland Forest), and some Noro Silver Thaw in a beautiful green/purple/pink/grey combination. I used the alpaca, of course, for the warp, being as it's smooth and lends itself to such, and the Noro for the weft. And it's weaving beautifully. Jason picked a black/white combination of beautiful soft alpaca and I believe alpaca/silk, but don't hold me to it. And Brandon's weaving with a pair of Berroco Ultra Alpaca varieties - Light Grey (6206) and Prune Mix (6284). My scarf, being as it has a non-solid yarn, looks wholly different than theirs, but it's a nice difference for me.




So, I got a bit done before we even left the store .. which was three hours later. Brandon actually got to learn how to tie in after refilling the shuttle before we left .. Jason and I hadn't gotten to that point. We also learned how to fold the looms for travelling with them and off we went. We decided to go to dinner at Monsoon, a local Thai place we love, and as usual were not disappointed. After a brief trip to Brandon's momma's house to drop off the deep fryer they gave us which quit working somewhere around the third or fourth use, so she could have it replaced, we headed home for honey to finish his homework and then I stayed up after everyone had gone to bed, weaving. I got quite a bit done .. had to fill the shuttle twice while I watched NCIS.


Don't mind the tv in the background playing Rent. I'm a bit obsessed at the moment.


I forgot to post about my finished Red Scaf Projects scarves!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm visiting from Stashalong. That loom and the beautiful fibers could lead to a new obsession for me also. I could add it to the sewing and knitting machines I don't have time for (LOL).

Your scarves look beautiful. I expecially love the cabled one. Hope you don't mind, but I may have to copy your scarf 'wrapper.' Nicely done.

Ang said...

Oh a travel-loom...that must be fantastic! I wonder if I could ever afford one of those! I do love weaving, yours is looking great and I love those scarves.